The Network Effect

Huge congratulations to Eli Tome, who was recently selected as the Southeast Sovereign Lands Coordinator for the State of Utah! As the Sovereign Lands Coordinator in Southeast Utah, Eli will manage 300 river miles and 5,000 acres of land in four counties.

Eli TomeResponsibilities include restoration projects and coordinating a diverse group of stakeholders in river management activities. Additionally, he will be mapping invasive species in remote desert terrain which may require backpacking and overnight field trips. In the summer months, Eli will oversee the permitting and leasing program for rafting and kayaking requiring him to be hand on’s along the banks of the Colorado and Green Rivers.

“This job combines my interest in river restoration and collaborative management with my love for white water adventures and desire to work outside,” said Eli. “The bonus is living in the beautiful town of Moab!”

Utah landscapeEli heard about this position when he presented with the University of Oregon’s PPPM Team at the 2015 Policy Solutions Challenge Western Regional Competition in Salt Lake City (see related story). Through networking at the competition, Eli met the coordinator of the program at the state level, who shared information about the position and suggested Eli submit an application. The coordinator followed up on his application in addition to putting in a good word. “If I hadn’t gone to Salt Lake City and presented our paper on water policy solutions, I would have never heard of this opportunity,” recalls Eli.

Eli went on to share his excitement to began his new professional journey, and is looking forward to helping manage such an amazing and dynamic river system in southeast Utah. “I am extremely grateful for the experiences that Community Planning Workshop and the Master of Community and Regional Planning Program have provided me,” said Eli. “These programs have positioned me to attain what is truly a dream job.